(C) Copyright 1997,1998,1999,2000 All rights reserved
International Boxing Hall of Fame 1 Hall of Fame Drive Canastota, NY 13032 P: 315.697.7095 F: 315.697.5356
WORLD FAMOUS MADISON SQUARE GARDEN BOXING RING
SET UP IN “BOXING'S HOMETOWN”
CANASTOTA, NY – JANUARY 2008 - After 82 years of use, the world famous boxing ring from Madison Square Garden was retired in September 2007. It was then shipped 270 miles north to Canastota, New York and on January 12, 2008 the historic ring was assembled for one last time, as it will now be on permanent display in the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
“This is by far the most famous ring in the sport of boxing. Madison Square Garden is the 'Mecca of Boxing' and the ring at the Garden that so many gladiators fought in is truly one of the most significant artifacts in sports history,” said International Boxing Hall of Fame Executive Director Edward Brophy. “With the ring coming to the Hall, it will be assured that its history will be continued on to fans of all ages.”
The ring made its debut on December 11, 1925 when Paul Berlenbach and Jack Delaney fought for the light heavyweight title and was last used on June 10, 2007 when Miguel Cotto vs. Zab Judah met for the welterweight title The history of the MSG ring reads like a who's who of boxers including: Muhammad Ali, Henry Armstrong, Tony Canzoneri, Roberto Duran, Arturo Gatti, Kid Gavilan, Rocky Graziano, Evander Holyfield, Pernell Whitaker, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Mike Tyson, Ezzard Charles, Oscar De La Hoya, George Foreman, Sugar Ray Robinson, Carmen Basilio, Alexis Arguello and many, many more.
Next up for the boxing ring will be exhibits and videos highlighting the classic bouts that took place center ring. The ring will be on display during the 2008 Hall of Fame Weekend and a formal dedication is anticipated for later in the year.
Click on a thumbnail to view larger